Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Eye Opener: Junk on the Brain

Antique:  An old, collectable item due to its age, condition, or rareness.  Most define an antique by being at least 100 years old.

Junk:  Discarded material that can be reused in some way.  Some examples include old furniture scraps, rags, clothes, glass, and plastic bottles.

Flea Market:  This is where old or already used goods are swapped or bartered for.  There can be food vendors at flea markets, too.

Thrift Shop:  A place that sells already used items, where the profits will benefit charitable organizations.  Thrift shops mainly sell clothing.

Upcycling:  Converting waste materials into new products of better environmental value.

Resale Shop:  The act of selling something again.  A good example includes the store Plato's Closet, which buys secondhand clothing from people so they can resell them at a lesser cost.

These terms, some of which I did not know until I researched them, have a lot in common.. as well as a lot in common with environmental health.  These are all relatable because they all share the idea of reusing or buying what has already been bought, which is considered environmentally friendly.  If people never reused clothing, objects, or products, our world would have to put so much more effort into making and supplying more products.  All objects have a life, and most objects can be "transformed" or changed by others into something else to make it's life longer.

Antique Store: Father Time Antiques
395 S Lake Ave # 1
Duluth, MN 55802-2311
(218) 625-2379



Junk Store:  Chesney Auto Salvage
6250 Beaver River Road
Duluth, MN 55803-9499
(218) 721-4874



Flea Market:  Flea Portal (gives all different flea markets in MN)

Thrift Shop:  Ragstock (one of my favorite stores!!)
7 West Superior Street
Duluth, MN 55802-2029
(218) 722-1201


Upcycling:  Christopher Lowell (different resources for finding upcycled furniture)

Resale Shop:  Plato's Closet
5115 Burning Tree Rd # 315C
Duluth, MN 55811-1876
(218) 733-9455



I actually have gone to the local antique stores in Duluth because I think they are 
so interesting and fun to go to. I also sell and buy some things from Plato's Closet,
 and I shop at Ragstock when I'm around the downtown area. 


1) Antique/Upcycled Bracelet
I thought this piece of jewelry was so cute and creative!  I love antique jewelry because I think it has such a unique look to it, and it doesn't look like all the other "popular" jewelry that everyone has.

2) Globe Turned into Pumpkin
I thought this was a great idea to turn something into a festive decoration.  This caught my eye because I always hate spending money on decorations for holidays, but I love to be festive.  I want to try and follow this idea by using some old stuff I don't have and turning them into Christmas decorations :) . 

3) Truck turned into planter
What a cute idea!  This would be a great idea for parents who have old toys laying around from when their kids used to have them.  Instead of just throwing them away, turn them into art or something useful!  I love the idea and never would have thought of this!




6 comments:

  1. I had never heard of those stores before. It's amazing what you can find locally if you look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Niki!
    I LOVED looking at all of the cool ideas you found! A truck turned into a planter was such a cute idea! I never would of thought of anything like it, I loved it!
    Good find!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Duluth has some great antique shops. My favorite is on Superior Street but I can't remember the name of it.

    That truck planter is pretty neat, that's one thing I'd never have expected to see as a planter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the truck planter! It shows that you really can reuse old things into cool new things, and I love the links that you gave...they really help!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is pretty cool that you already go to stores that sell second hand stuff. I think turning an old toy truck is such a cool project to pick. You can turn almost anything into a planter of some kind. The other projects you picked were so cool too. Decorating for the holidays is fun but buying new items every year is wasteful and expensive. Making your own decoration is not only fun but better for the environment and cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of your pictures were awesome! What fun ideas and super creative. I love the jewelry too and totally agree...I like to find stuff that isn't so "in" and looks different than what everyone else has.

    ReplyDelete