Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Share 'N' Voice: Hot, Flat, and Crowded



I never thought I would be interested in a book I read to a client of mine for me Personal Care Assistant job.  He is a to-be law school grad student who is interested in politics and law.  He is taking a class which requires him to read the book Hot, Flat, and Crowded, by Thomas L. Friedman, in which I read to him.  As I began to read him this book, I was quickly reminded of our class and how each aspect of the book relates to what we talk about:

• HOT:  Our world is showing climate change is becoming an urgent issue that needs to be addressed before it's too late.  This book describes this problem as global warming is Mother Nature's way to tell us to stop and slow down (relating to the factors that cause increased climate change).

• FLAT:  Globalization is taking over our world, and it's being taken over fast.  One example includes the huge problem of deforestation in third world countries for economic gains in our country.

• CROWDED:  Overpopulation is slowly making our world more difficult to maintain due to the increase needs for materials, food, shelter, water, and much more.

Friedman explains the major issues of our world and how our children will be affected by these issues if things are not changed soon.  He advocates for a cleaner, more efficient, more greener world.

I was surprised at how well this book was written!  He gets very imaginative and uses good examples to help create images as to what he tries to explain.  I recommend this book to anyone interested in understanding how our world is becoming hot, flat, and crowded.  It is an easy read and very informational!

3 comments:

  1. Niki,
    I have to admit I am not much of a reader myself either, and usually don't think I can get into books like this, but I am going to take your word on it and check it out!
    Thanks! Glad you liked it also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a really interesting book. What is nice is that it also is written in a way to make people really get into the facts. So many times non-fiction books can be dry and boring, which is a shame because then important facts and details end up not being communicated or ignored.

    I also think it is neat that you happened to be "forced" into reading it and found it applies to what we've been learning in class. I always get excited when things from class overlap with every day life.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a pretty interesting book. One of my roommates actually had to read that book for a class too. She thought it was really interesting. I know in the past I have been "forced" to read books that I ended up liking a lot. There are so many interesting books out there that are really informative, which is great. Maybe I will have to borrow this book from my roommate?!

    ReplyDelete